Basing House Survey – Spring 2013 and Spring 2014
Geophysical Survey, topographic survey and standing building survey probably over two seasons March-April of each year.
Season 1 – Spring 2013
- Magnetometer survey of New House, earthworks, gardens and area of lodge/barn
- Resistivity survey of New House, earthworks, gardens and area of lodge/barn
- Ground-penetrating radar (GPR) survey of Old and New House
- Topographic survey with total station and global positioning system (GPS) of all earthworks
- Total station standing building survey
Students will be made up of all registered in Archaeology BA and Archaeology BSc on the following modules:
- ARCH2024 – 2nd year undergraduate: Survey and Recording
- ARCH3014 – 3rd year undergraduate: Geophysical Survey Practical
Postgraduate students registered on Archaeological Surveying MSc and Archaeological Computing MSc will also be invited to take part.
Season 1 dates
Week one will be 17/3/2013 – 21/3/2013
Week two will be 8/4/2013 – 12/4/2013
Season 2 – Summer 2013 or Spring 2014
- Finish magnetometer survey of New House, earthworks, gardens and area of lodge/barn
- Finish resistivity survey of New House, earthworks, gardens and area of lodge/barn
- GPR survey of burial ground and/or hunting lodge
- Finish standing building survey and topographic survey if necessary
Season 2 dates
During Summer 2013 excavation season, or to be held in 2014.
If in 2014, Easter Holiday falls from 29/03/2014 to 28/04/2014, and so season 2 will take place over two weeks (not necessarily consecutive) between these dates.
Season 1 Round-up
Season 1 was a great success, despite the inclement weather in the second week, we managed to collect a huge data-set, that students and staff are currently working on, in order to share with you some of the findings from the data collection. In the meantime, you can read about our experiences on site, and about the recording methods that we used in the following posts: